I'm so excited to share with you today the first in a new series of hairstyle posts! One of my 2014 goals for PPF was to start to incorporate more hair and beauty tutorials since so many of you have been asking for this. I've partnered with TRESemmé to take runway-inspired looks and translate them into everyday styles that anyone can do. I'll be posting one new style each month and including step-by-step instructions so you can recreate them at home.
For this month's post, I'm drawing inspiration from the Rebecca Minkoff show, where they featured messy braided updo's. I have always loved braids because they have an effortless, relaxed feel to them that's perfect for spring & summer (great for those days when your hair isn't cooperating or it's too humid outside to wear it down). I decided to show 2 looks - one that's ideal for daytime and one that has a romantic twist for an evening out.
I like doing a side braid for everyday because it's quick & easy. You want to start with a deep side part and do the braid on the side with the most hair. If you have side-swept bangs like me, make sure your braid is on the same side as your bangs. Here's what you need to get started:
Because my hair is mid-length and has some layers, it can be hard to keep it all in a side braid without the shorter pieces falling out by the end of the day. So, this is my favorite technique for ensuring it stays put. Here's the steps to recreate:
* To start, smooth on a drop of TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Smoothing Creme Serum to keep strands silky & control frizz (up to 48 hours!).
1) Separate hair into two sections, pin one side up & braid the lower section, working it around the back of your neck to the other side
(you can do a regular or french braid for this step). Secure with a clear elastic.
2) Take the top section of hair down & separate into two equal parts.
3) Begin to braid with the 2 hair sections and the smaller braid.
Slide the clear elastic out of the smaller braid when you reach the end.
4) Secure with a clear elastic or leather tie.
5) After the style is complete, I like to add a little bit of TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Illuminating Shine Spray for extra shine and smoothness.
6) Finished product.
Forever 21 top (similar here or here), The Limited cami, Jordache jeans c/o WalMart, Report sandals, Pulicati tote (similar here or here), Zara bracelets (similar here and here), Forever 21 necklace (similar), Nails: Essie Tart Deco
For an evening out, I like creating a romantic updo that's soft & pretty. I personally find that my hair holds updo's best if it's not freshly washed - this dry shampoo is my favorite for absorbing oil & refreshing my hair between blowouts. Here's what you need to get started:
Pulling all of your hair away from your face really helps draw attention to your features - great for pairing with a smokey eye. This version is simple enough for anyone to do at home and works well on shorter hair lengths too. Here's the steps to recreate:
1) Start by lightly spraying TRESemmé Fresh Start Renewing Dry Shampoo on your roots to absorb oil & refresh hair.
2) Make a deep side part and begin french braiding the larger section of hair back towards your ear, stopping the french braid just above the ear and continuing with a regular braid until you reach the ends. Secure with a clear elastic.
3) Gather the braid along with the rest of your hair into a low ponytail at the nape of your neck.
4) Twist hair into a bun and secure with spin pins and/or bobby pins.
5) Lightly mist with a TRESemmé Extra Firm Control Hairspray.
6) Finished product.
Gap dress (similar here or here), BCBG heels (similar), Expressions NYC cluch (similar here or here), c/o ShopLately necklace, c/o WalMart cuffs, Lips: Maybelline Color Elixir (Raspberry Rhapsody)