1) You used to do a monthly series where you shared your recent purchases with us. I know you’re not buying any more summer pieces, but I’d be curious to see what you’ve bought so far for the coming season.
Because my closet is only large enough to hold one season’s worth of clothes at a time, I have all of my fall clothes stored away. So I’m trying not to buy any boots, jackets or sweaters until I’m able to get my wardrobe switched over for the new season – then I can really see what I have to work with & if there are any gaps to be filled. However, I am on the hunt for great-fitting black jeans – the pair I wore all last year ended up so faded from multiple washes (would love to hear your suggestions if you have some that have held up well over time!). Here are the items I’ve bought so far for fall:
1) Hooded Cardigan (The softest thing ever & it has thumb holes – great for wearing around the house & after yoga class.)
2) V-Neck Workout Tee (I’m working on swapping out my bright gym clothes for darker fall hues & this has great breathability to it.)
3) Satin Bell Sleeve Blouse (Such a pretty color & satin is a big trend for fall.)
4) Herringbone Leggings (The pattern makes these look so luxe & the high waist means they won’t slip down while I’m running.)
5) Faux Suede Skirt (A-line silhouettes are my favorite and this fabric is so buttery soft! I also think this color will be really versatile with pieces I already own.)
6) Short Sleeve Sweater (Love the texture of this knit – it will be great for wearing both now & later.)
7) Tweed Sneakers (These will be perfect for travel because they slip on & off so easily – even though they’re an athletic shoe, they’d also look chic with a tunic sweater & faux leather leggings.)
8) Lace Trim Cami (Tempted to order more of these in other colors – ideal for layering under cardigans & blazers…see me wearing it here.)
9) Double Ring Belt (Because I adore the Gucci version, but could never afford it – this is as close as I’ll get!)
10) Black Strappy Flats (Subtly edgy & comfortable – these also come in ivory/black & are on sale now)
11) Thorn Mini Hoops (A modern take on the everyday classic & under $20)
12) Locket Necklace (Just the right length – now to try & find a picture small enough to fit inside!)
2) I’ve really gotten into watching YouTube makeup tutorials lately and am having a lot of fun experimenting with different beauty looks. I want to buy some new eyeshadows for fall, but I haven’t been impressed with many of the drugstore brands I’ve tried – I’d love to hear your suggestions for versatile makeup palettes that aren’t too expensive.
I completely understand your struggle – when it comes to color payoff & blendability, I’ve also found that most of the drugstore eyeshadows just don’t stack up as well. I’ve included several versatile options below – I specifically chose brands that I’ve personally used & products that have near-perfect reviews. Sometimes you can also find department store brands for less at TJ Maxx or Marshalls (like this), so I recommend checking there as well!
ROW 1: ONE // TWO // THREE
ROW 2: ONE // TWO // THREE
ROW 3: ONE // TWO // THREE
3) I’m expecting & just finished my first trimester – I used to wear petite XS or S before my pregnancy and my belly is still not very big. I am having a hard time finding good maternity clothes that actually fit (most of the styles I’ve tried are too big for me). Can you recommend some wardrobe staples that will accommodate my growing bump & that are reasonably priced?
First of all, congratulations!! I remember that entering my second trimester was when I started to feel better (less nausea & more energy), so you have that to look forward to! There are lots of stores that carry affordable maternity styles like Gap, Old Navy, Target, Kohl’s and H&M. But ASOS also has a wide selection of options, including Maternity Petite and Maternity Nursing (so you can wear them postpartum as well!). All of the jeans & pants featured below are either a cropped length or come in short so you can find a pair that will work for your frame.
ROW 1: ONE // TWO (another option here) // THREE // FOUR
ROW 2: ONE // TWO // THREE // FOUR
ROW 3: ONE // TWO (henley style here) // THREE // FOUR
I don’t think any black jeans stand up to multiple washes. So I just don’t wash my jeans. Really. It isn’t as gross as it sounds. WHEN I do wash them, I soak them in vinegar and water in a tub. That’s probably not the answer you’re looking for and perhaps you can try something similar in the washer so you get some agitation. But black and dark jeans will definitely fade after washing.
Oh I haven’t tried the vinegar trick – thank you for sharing!
I’m interested in the vinegar wash idea – I haven’t heard that one before. I also noticed that Old Navy has started carrying their black Rockstar jeans in a “never-fade” version, and I’m curious how accurate that claim is. If you’re into DIY, I have also had some success using black RIT dye to redarken jeans. It has worked better in some cases than in others (the lower the percentage of spandex in the fabric the better it seems), but even the not-so-successful attempts haven’t ruined a pair for me, so that might be worth a shot.
The Modern Savvy says
Looove this post as always, especially what you’ve already purchased for fall! That Express blouse and those hoops are so pretty.
I always wash my dark jeans inside out. Never have any problems.
Erin @ Loop Looks says
My Paige brand black denim jeans I got from Shopbop have held up really well so far! I wash them inside out on gentle and only with other black items.
Naima Farah says
Thank you so much Kimberly for answering my questions. All the options you gave are so appropriate and cute! I would also welcome tips from you how to come back to shape after the baby is born. I’m 14 weeks now 🙂 Thank you again and hugs <3
Yes, here are several different options:
Odessa @ Odessa Darling says
I have a pair of black skinnies from Abercrombie that I love and have held up well over the last year – I always wash them in cold water and hang them to dry, so I don’t have to worry about fading!
Thanks so much for sharing – I’ve been eyeing their new arrivals lately because there are a couple sweaters that I want, so I will have to add some jeans to my order too!