Have you been searching for the best hair straightener for curling hair? This post has 10 straighteners you that can be used for both straightening AND curling hair.
Affiliate links may be used in this post. To learn more, please review our full disclosure statement below (on mobile) or to the right (on desktop). Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!
What is the Best Hair Straightener for Curling Hair?
In case you didn’t know, a flat iron can be used as a BOTH a hair straightener and curler. If you are looking to curl hair without investing in a new curling iron, try a flat iron if you have one!
While it sounds contradicting, using a flat iron for curling hair is a popular method to obtain curls! With the right straightener and some practice, you will be able to create easy and effortless curls, we will show you how.
Here are 11 of the best hair straighteners for curling hair. This list covers tools for various hair types and budgets, so if you don’t already have a straightener, check out one of these!
Keep reading to learn how to use a straightener for curling hair and also get answers to frequently asked questions.
How to Use a Flat Iron for Curling
Follow these steps to curl hair using a flat iron. Depending upon you hair type and personal preference, you may need to adjust steps.
- Clean your hair. Shampoo and condition as desired. I prefer to lightly condition my hair when curling. Personally, if I leave conditioner on for too long, the curls do not hold as well.
- Apply styling products applicable to hair type. Heat protectant is always a good product to apply prior to using any form of heat.
- Dry hair completely. Styling hair with hot tools ideal when hair contains zero moisture. Dry hair will ensure the curls lasts longer and will prevent damage. To avoid hair damage, always avoid using hot tools on wet or damp hair.
- Part and Section Hair. Part you hair in the center or to one side, then section off hair for curling. For curling with a flat iron, I work in three sections around the crown. Starting with a bottom section, curling that hair, and then moving on to finish the middle and top section.
- Work in 1-2 inch chunks at a time. Determine amount of hair based on hair thickness and desired curl shape. Curling smaller chunks will result in tighter curls, while thicker sections will have loose curls.
- Curl. Starting 1-3 inches from the scalp, clamp down with the flat iron. Simultaneously twist and glide the straightener, slowly, down through the chunk of hair.
- TIP: Do not treat the flat iron as a curling iron. Spiraling the hair tightly around flat iron blades will not curl hair. Instead, it will create creases where the blades turn down. Honestly, not a cute look.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 throughout each section until all hair is curled.
- Let hair set for 1-2 minutes. When hair is completely cooled, you may want to run your fingers through (or a wide tooth comb) to break up the pieces a bit.
- Apply setting products. If desired, apply hair spray or texture spray to curled hair.
Why Should You Use a Hair Straightener for Curling Hair?
Not sure if straightener curls are for you? Here are a few reasons why some people decide to use a hair straightener for curling hair.
- Rarely curl hair: For those who already own and use a flat iron frequently, it doesn’t make sense to invest in a curling iron for the minimal amount of times they want to curl their hair.
- Different Type of Curl: Flat irons curls are more wavy compared to curling iron curls. With a straightener, curls are more wavy and loose, which is very much in style!
- Heat protection: Ceramic plates are the optimal choice to provide a extra hair protection against high heat tools. This is particularly important for fine and thin hair types. Many curling are metal rather than ceramic.
- Long lasting curls: Straighteners help to smooth the hair cuticle which can extend the hold time for curls. BONUS: ceramic plates also are known for even heat distribution which is a must for even longer lasting curls!
I’d love to hear why you decided to curl hair with a straightener. Let me know in the comments at the end of this post!
What to Look for in Straighteners for Curling (and straightening)
When shopping around for straighteners to use for curling, look for narrow blades. Generally, it will be easier to curl hair with a flat iron if the blade is 1.5″ or smaller. This is because of the “twist and pull” technique required to curl hair with a flat iron. Extra wide plates make this technique awkward and difficult to manage.
Another characteristic to be mindful of is the blade material. Ceramic and titanium are popular blade options. Titanium is usually reserved for coarse hair types because of the fast heat up and high heat settings available. Proceed with caution when purchasing titanium, if not used correctly, the high heat settings can easily damage hair.
Ceramic plates are the more popular blade material. They offer an even heat distribution and are known for creating a smoothing effect of the hair cuticle. Both of these reasons make ceramic blades ideal for curling hair.
Finally, barrel style should be considered. Flat irons are available in flat or outer barrels. While curling can be done with either, rounded barrels are the optimal style for curling hair.
11 Hair Straighteners for Curling Hair
In no particular order, here are 11 flat iron options for curling hair.
This 1″ tourmaline ceramic flat iron has many ideal characteristics of the best straightener for curling hair. Currently under $70 as of writing this post! Nearly 12k 4+ star reviews! Check out the pros and cons below!
- One step dial for power & temperature control
- Swivel cord (a nice feature for curling!)
- Floating plates
- Under $70
- Per review, not ideal for extra thick and course hair
Several reviews state this tool significantly reduces the amount of time spent styling hair. It is also intended for all hair types!
- Provides quick style
- Heats Fast
- Zone technology adjusts to different hair types
- Automatic sleep mode
- No heat Indicator, per one review
Whether you want sleek straight hair, waves, or straightener curls, this tool does it all! Equipped with 1.25″ ceramic plates, this is a great option for curling hair with a flat iron.
- Designed for multi-styling
- Wide temperature range to accommodate various hair types
- Swivel cord
- Digital display
- Auto shut off
- Review mentions it is not great for naturally curly hair types
- Could require multiple passes for straightening
This affordable straightener is a great, affordable, option! Currently priced at $50! With over 30 heat settings, you can customize the tool to fit you hair needs. The rainbow blades are designed to combat frizzy hair.
- Several heat settings
- heats up quick
- Available in 1″ & 1.75″ blades
- Potential snagging
- Time consuming
CHI is well known for their styling tools, particularly flat irons. Currently selling for about $190. Though it is expensive, CHI is known for high quality and long lasting flat irons! This is a best selling 1.5″ ceramic straightener made infused with lava particles. Get smooth lush curls with this one!
- Quality product
- Creates shine
This T3 styler has numerous features that will make styling hair a breeze! With built in technology to customize and maintain consistent heat, you will worry less about damage and focus more on how to curl hair with a flat iron. This tool is also equipped with a texture selector AND curl mode. Simply activate curl mode on this flat iron before you begin curling your hair!
- Optional curl mode
- Ceramic plates
- Heat sensors technology
- 9 heat settings
- multi-texture settings
- No blade clamp for storage
This classic straightener is a no brainer. With minimal settings and features, this flat iron is great for beginners! Priced at around $100 as of this post. The 1″ blade is the perfect size for curling!
- Classic design
- Reputable brand
- Floating plates
- Limited settings
- No auto shut-off
The black gold technology within this tool provides added benefits for hair and is designed for both striaghtening and curling hair. Whether you want pin straight hair or beachy waves, this tool does it all.
- Cylindrical design, enhances curling
- 27 Heat Settings, up to 455 F
- Audible Tune when desired temperature is reached
- Digital temperature screen
- Some reviews claim snagging & damage to hair occured
This 5-in-1 tool claims to straighten, curl, and so much more! Retails around $80, but frequently is on deal via Amazon. Click the link above for today’s price! The extra long plates (4.1″) are ideal for styling long hair!
- Enhanced features for healthier styling
- Button free functionality
- Highly rated
- Temperature doesn’t hold well (per some reviews)
Priced around $50 currently and highly rated! There are so many good reviews and features with this tool. If you try it, let me know your thoughts. Do you think this could be the best straightener for curling hair?
- Multiple features and setting
- Several color options
- Circular design
- Some reviews claim it “gets the job done”, but not an exceptional tool
With nearly 13k reviews and a 4.4 star rating, it is easy to see customers are pleased with this flat iron. The plates of this straightener are made of 100% titanium, making it ideal for thick, coarse hair types.
- Extra long plates (5″)
- Swivel cord
- Wide heat range
- Titanium is more prone to causing damage, as opposed to ceramic. User should know how to properly use titanium on hair prior to using tool.
FAQs (frequently asked questions)
Can I use any flat iron to create straightener curls?
Technically, yes. However there are several variables to consider about each flat iron that will impact the curl outcomes. Blade size, blade material, and barrel style are a few characteristics I went into detail above. You should definitely be mindful of these things when considering if your straightener is a good fit for curling.
How long will straightener curls last?
This depends on several factors! Some would say that curling hair with a ceramic flat iron will offer longer lasting curls, as compared to a metal curling iron.
Other factors that influencer how long hair curls last are hair type, hair tool material, styling products used, condition of hair when styled (dirty, clean, etc.), and type of curls you are going for.
What type of flat irons plates are best for curling hair?
From personal experience, I have found narrow, ceramic blade, flat irons to offer the best curls. The even heat distribution and added smoothness make for great curls!
Is there a hair tool to create both straight and spiral curly hair?
Looking for a hair tool that is intentionally made to both straighten and curl hair? Check out these two!
Remington twist & curl: Intentionally designed to create BOTH straight and curly hair styles and under $40 as of this post!
babylissPRO Nano straight and curl tool: This one is under $200 and offers blades on either side of the barrel, making curls super easy and effective
SHOP THIS POST
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Be sure to check out my shop page, HERE, to shop all my looks, outfit inspo, gift guides and more.
STAY IN THE KNOW: Don’t forget to sign up for my exclusive newsletter for STYLE TIPS, NEW POST ALERTS, AND MUCH MORE!
As always, thank you so much for stopping by today, I truly appreciate you!