Wondering what capsule wardrobe shoes to include in your closet each season? Perfect! Because today I am sharing the most versatile shoes for each season.
Affiliate links may be used in this post. To learn more, please review our full disclosure statement below (on mobile) or to the right (on desktop). Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!
What are Capsule Wardrobe Shoes
Building a capsule wardrobe not only includes tops and bottoms, it also includes shoes! And shoes are a very important aspect of any capsule wardrobe. Why? Because they complete an outfit and they can honestly make or break your entire style.
Capsule wardrobe shoes are versatile shoes that you get the most wear out of. They are shoes you can wear in multiple seasons and worn with several different outfits.
How many pairs of shoes do you actually wear in a year? If you’re like me, you have a handful of pairs you reach for again and again. These classic and comfortable pairs we gravitate towards most often are our foundational pairs of capsule wardrobe shoes!
Capsule Footwear Guidelines
Here are three things to keep in mind as you build out your capsule wardrobe and consider which shoes to include.
Color palette matters
Generally speaking, neutral colors are the most versatile. Black, white, tan, brown, and nude are all great options for footwear. They go with more items as opposed to bright and bold colored footwear.
Comfort is key
Always choose a shoe that is comfortable on you. Otherwise, it will likely go unworn. For a capsule wardrobe to be purposeful, each item should get the maximum amount of wear. That includes shoes!
Maintain your style
If a pair of shoes does not fit into your everyday lifestyle, don’t consider it a capsule shoe for YOU! For example, a stay at home mom likely has sneakers, flats, sandals, and comfy boots in her shoe capsule. A pair of shiny red pumps wouldn’t be included as an everyday shoe for her. Make sense?
Seasonal Capsule Shoes
Here are my picks for the top 3 casual chic capsule wardrobe shoes for each season .
- White Sneaker: There is a reason I included this shoe in every capsule wardrobe guide last year. They are extremely versatile. Today, you see them styled with both pants and dresses! There are even business casual outfits that look good with a clean, modern sneaker. The versatility makes it an essential shoe every capsule wardrobe.
- Chelsea Boot: I personally wear my chelsea boots for 3 seasons out of the year. They are particularly important during Spring due to the rain. These are both chic and functional, which is why they are included here on the list.
- Ankle Boots: A nice, tan or beige ankle boot, like this, is a great option for Spring. The color will be cohesive with a lot of the lighter colors seen in Spring wardrobes. And the style will keep you warm on the cooler Spring days. This shoe can also be worn in the fall!
- Black Sandals: During the summer it is all about staying cool without sacrificing style. I love a classic black sandal and I do include black into my Summer wardrobe. If you don’t, then white sandal would be a great alternative.
- Brown Leather Sandals: These may be your most worn shoes of the season. They’re great for lots of different occasions and can be dressed up or down easily.
- Strappy Heeled Sandals: While these may not get as much wear as other shoes, they are essential for dressier occasions like showers, weddings, dates, etc. They can even be pushed into late Springtime wear!
- Riding Boots: Elevate an otherwise casual look instantly with a classic pair of riding boots. I opt for a nice, tall cognac leather pair. I’ve had cognac riding boots in my wardrobe for nearly 10 years and I don’t think they’ll ever go out of style!
- Leopard Flats or Sneakers: Leopard is a neutral in the capsule wardrobe world. And it is true, leopard can be worn with a lot of different things! It instantly adds interest to any neutral outfit.
- Loafers: Loafers are great because they are so comfortable but look fancy at the same time. When classic white sneakers are too casual for an occasion, a loafer is a good alternative to try!
- Suede Knee-High Boots: These can be work with nearly anything. From sweater dresses, to jeans, to leggings. A nice little heel will keep you comfortable but allow the boot to be worn to more formal events.
- Leather Ankle Boots: Another versatile boot that goes great with a lot of different pant styles. Choose a shaft that is tighter on the ankle for maximum versatility. When the boot hugs the ankle it can be worn easily under straight leg pants and jeans.
- Cozy Ankle Boots: Unlike ankle boots of the Spring and Fall, Winter ankle boots should be designed to keep your feet warm! Opt for a pair with shearling, fleece, or faux fur lining. Depending on your location you may need to consider a pair made for the snow.
The Ultimate Capsule Wardrobe Shoe
Now that we’ve covered each season you may be wondering which shoe ranks #1 on this list. You also may be rethinking your current shoe collection and want to refresh a little bit! But shoes are expensive! And it takes a long time to build up to a full collection of capsule shoes.
So, if I had to pick one shoe from this list to be the most versatile and also a great starter piece to a new shoe collection, it would be the classic white sneaker! Keep in mind, this is for a mostly casual lifestyle, which may not fit your personal needs.
These shoes go with everything and can be worn all year long!
SHOP CAPSULE SHOES
Be sure to check out my shop page, HERE, to shop all my looks, outfit inspo, gift guides and more.
Don’t Forget! You can also download the free LIKETOKNOW.IT app and follow me HERE.
STAY IN THE KNOW: Don’t forget to sign up for my exclusive newsletter for STYLE TIPS, NEW POST ALERTS, AND MUCH MORE!
As always, thank you so much for stopping by today, I truly appreciate you!