Those of you who follow me on Twitter know that we have been in the process of moving. We finally found long-term renters for our home in North Carolina, so we are settling into a house in the country on 5 acres. It is in a beautiful spot, but the house is older…which means smaller bedrooms and little or no closet space to speak of. My husband, being the amazing man that he is, suggested that we turn one of the extra bedrooms into a “wardrobe room” (yes, it really was his idea).
He said that I could choose the color and design it how I wanted, but it had to be done in an affordable way. “Affordable” for us right now means estate sale shopping, Goodwill hunting & searching through Craig’s List (using mostly money I’ve made selling items on eBay). I knew right away that I wanted it to be serene & glamorous with some vintage touches – think “old Hollywood”. Here is a sneak peek at what I’ve come up with so far:
* Real Simple Slimline Hangers – These magically create more space in your closet because of their slim design…plus the flocking material ensures your silky pieces don’t slip into a crumpled heap on the floor.
* Benjamin Moore Bird’s Egg – I chose this paint color for its calming effect and the way it will pop against the white shelves I’m adding.
* ELLE Mercury Pillar Candleholders – These will be sitting pretty atop my antique curved dresser (which I scored at Goodwill for less than $20)!
* Leather storage bench – This was a piece we previously had at the foot of our bed in the master, but our room in this house is too small for it. It’s not exactly what I wanted for seating, but you have to use what you’ve got!
* Breakfast at Tiffany’s 8×10 Photo – I bought this on eBay for $5, had a taupe silk mat made at Hobby Lobby & am now on the hunt for a frame to put it in.
Fashion By Alicia says
I cannot wait to see the finished product. I am so jealous! I have clothes in every closet of my house. I need a wardrobe room!
charcoal and lime says
OK, DIY the pillow! I am sure there is either a video out there or you could just figure it out. Buy a pillow and the go to a fabric store and look around I am sure you could get some ideas!
I have always wanted to take a spare bedroom and turn it into a wardrobe room… pink and white stripes, very powder room and girly. Now I just need a house. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Neris / Fashion Fractions says
How awesome is your husband??? The most awesome EVER 🙂 Good luck searching for perfect items 😉
Real Girl Glam says
Great picks for your wardrobe room! (sooo jealous by the way!) Love that pillow, but if you're crafty, why not try to make it?!? Then spend the extra money on more things for the room… or clothes! LOL 🙂
Megan, The Frugalista Diaries says
oooh I can't wait to see, I went vintage on my closet too!
I agree you could EASILY DIY the DKNY pillow (JoAnns has a ton of sequin ribbon strips that with a quick stitch you'd be able to just slide it onto a solid pillow) and the mercury candlesticks (use a water spray bottle and mirror spray paint – Pinterest
I saw the picture of the "after" from this post on Pinterest, but I can't find the actual blog entry!! Could you post or email it to me? I wanted to see where you got your closet rods and hooks that attach to the wall. 🙂
We purchased the rods, brackets, shelving and everything for the closet room at Home Depot. You can find them online or at your local store. Hope this helps!