Learn what a capsule wardrobe is and see what a colorful capsule wardrobe can look like. This post offers inspiration for a 20 piece capsule wardrobe and outfit ideas using the pieces.
Affiliate links may be used in this post. To learn more, please review our full disclosure statement below (on mobile) or to the right (on desktop). Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is a Capsule Wardrobe
A capsule wardrobe is a small collection of cohesive pieces, that are easily interchangeable. With a capsule wardrobe, like these from Penny Pincher Fashion, you can create a several outfits for the season with very few garments. For me personally, a capsule wardrobe allows me to save money, by wearing more of what I own and shopping less. I am also able to get dressed with less stress & decision fatigue each morning!
If you are interested in creating a versatile wardrobe, this capsule wardrobe checklist is your resource for foundational pieces that you can wear across multiple seasons, think white sneakers, jean jackets, and basic tees! The checklist contains neutral basics that can easily be used as a foundation to create a colorful capsule wardrobe.
How Many Pieces are In a Capsule
A standard capsule wardrobe contains 20-30 pieces. However, this number could be more or less, depending on several factors. Lifestyle, climate, profession, personal style, and season.
Capsules do not include, outerwear, formal attire, workout wear, or swimwear, as these are not standard pieces worn on your average day.
Tips for Creating a Colorful Capsule Wardrobe
To create a colorful capsule wardrobe, you’ll want to start with a neutral foundation then add 1-3 colors to select garments throughout the wardrobe. Here are some of my top tips to incorporate color.
- Start with a neutral foundation. Use neutral colors (white, gray, black, navy, or tan) for a 2-3 tops, 1-2 bottoms, and 1-2 shoes. having a foundation of neutrals will allow you to have a cohesive colorful wardrobe without having too many clashing outfits.
- Include 2-3 colors. When adding color to your capsule wardrobe, be sure to use complimentary colors that look good together, go to pinterest for color inspo! Stick with 2-3 colors. Any more than that will create a less versatile wardrobe.
- Add a patterned piece. Incorporate a fun striped top to add interest. Leopard print and floral are great options, too!
- Don’t forget footwear! Include a pair of shoes in one of your colors so that you can create outfits that look intentional and complete. In this capsule, I included a fun yellow mule to match the yellow tops.
- Choose what you love! Don’t feel overwhelmed, go with your gut when choosing your colors. If you really only like one color – stick with one color! If you love bright, bold colors – go bold!
20 PIECE COLORFUL CAPSULE WARDROBE
Striped tank // Navy Tank // Yellow Tee // Pink Blouse // White Top // Teal Top // Navy Tunic // Teal Sweater // Blush Cardigan // Yellow Cardigan // Denim Jacket // Teal Leggings // White Jeans // Blue Jeans // Pink Skirt // Navy Dress // Ankle Boots // Navy Flats // White Sneakers // Yellow Mules
5 Capsule Outfit Ideas
Here are just five effortless outfits using this 20 piece colorful wardrobe. This is just a small number of outfits. With a 20 piece capsule wardrobe, you can create over 60 unique outfits!
Colorful Capsule Wardrobe Checklist
The recommended pieces in the checklist below will allow you to create several outfits. As this list contains only 20 items, you can add more pieces in order to complete your colorful wardrobe capsule & make it fit your personal style.
- 1 Patterned Tank Top or Blouse – Stripe, Leopard Print, and floral are great options!
- 1 Solid Neutral Tank Top – Neutrals can include black, white, gray, navy, or beige.
- 3 Colored Tops – These tops should be good for layering (t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, blouse, etc.)
- 1 Neutral Top – This top should be good for layering
- 1 Colored Sweater – Something to wear under layers, not too bulky.
- 1 Neutral Layer – blazer, long cardigan, sweater blazer, jacket, etc.
- 1 Colored Layer – blazer, long cardigan, sweater blazer, jacket, etc.
- 1 Denim Jacket or Neutral Utility Jacket
- 2 Colored Bottoms – Leggings, jeans, trousers, shorts, skirts, etc.
- 2 Neutral Bottoms – Leggings, jeans, trousers, shorts, skirts, etc.
- 1 Neutral Dress
- 2-3 Neutral Shoes
- 1 Colored Pair of Shoes
SHOP CAPSULE PIECES
If you want more content like this, check out similar posts here on Penny Pincher Fashion!
- CAPSULE WARDROBE CHECKLIST – THE BASICS
- WINTER CAPSULE WARDROBE OUTFITS
- DESIGNER INSPIRED TOTE BAGS – YOU HAVE TO SEE!!
- WHAT TO WEAR TO A WINERY BY SEASON
Also, check out my shop page, HERE, to shop all my looks, outfit inspo, gift guides and more.
STAY IN THE KNOW: Don’t forget to sign up for my exclusive newsletter for STYLE TIPS, NEW POST ALERTS, AND MUCH MORE!
As always, thank you so much for stopping by today, I truly appreciate you!