7 Quiet Hair Dryers (2023)
Many of us own a hair dry and love the benefits. Compared to air drying, they provide us with smoother locks in a shorter amount of time. But the downside? They are so loud! If you are looking for a quiet hair dryer then check out this list of 7 quiet hair dryers.
Affiliate links may be used in this post. To learn more, please review our full disclosure statement below (on mobile) or to the right (on desktop). Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!
Whether you are looking to protect your ears from damage or just trying to avoid waking your family, a quiet hair dryer is a highly sought after item for many people.
It is important to note that the hair dryers featured on this list are not completely silent (wouldn’t that be nice), but they are quieter than other dryers on the market.
Why Are Hair Dryers So Loud?
Let’s first explain the basics, as you may be wondering why hair dryers are loud to begin with.
Every hair dryer has a small motor inside and this is likely the culprit of loud hair dryer volume. Generally, there are three different types of motor options for hair dryers. Each one has a different volume level.
Let’s take a look at the three motor options.
- Alternating Current (AC): This is the largest and heaviest motor of the three options. It is also the faster, which means it dries hair the quickest. Due to the large & fast nature of an AC motor, it will also be very loud and create more frizz.
- Direct Current (DC): DC motors are smaller and less powerful, compared to an AC motor. This also means they are quieter and will not make your hair as frizzy. If noise level and frizz are what you want to reduce, a DC is more of a quiet hair dryer compared to an AC motor.
- Digital (EC): This motor produces a high-pressure, high-velocity force of controlled air, for fast drying and sleek styling. Of all motor types, this one usually produces the least amount of noise. I’ve watched several video online and am shocked at the low volume level! It also produces salon worthy hair in a short amount of time. Naturally, this will be the most expensive hair dryer, but it comes with a ton of added benefits and features!
Other characteristics will impact how loud a hair dryer is.
Materials can vary drastically, depending on the brand/manufacturer. If cheap, thin, materials are used, this will likely create more noise as the air is pushed against various components. On the other hand, durable high quality materials could act as a buffer and reduce the noise level.
Another factor to consider is if you are using any attachments. Nozzles, diffusers, and brush combs are just some of the various attachments you can attach to your hair dryer. Each one has a different structure which could impact the noise level, if used at all.
The Levels of Noise
It is important to understand the various levels of sound before we can truly know what to look for in a quiet hair dryer.
Sound levels are measure by what is called a decibel. The lower the decibel number, the quieter the sound.
It is said that the average hair dryer is around 80 decibels. So, let’s take a look at how that compares to other common noises.
To make it easier, let’s break down decibels into categories and see what type of noise falls within each category.
FAINT: Around 0-40 decibels. Common noises include raindrops, a quiet room (museum or library), low breezes, and whispering. These sounds are safe and shouldn’t cause hearing damage with repeated exposure.
MODERATE: Around 30-60 decibels. Common sounds in this range include a normal conversation and laundry machines. These are also considered quiet, safe sounds.
LOUD: Loud noises measure around 61-90 decibels. Hair dryers fall into this category. Other sounds include vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, busy traffic, and blenders. These sounds can be damaging over an extended period of time.
VERY LOUD: This range is around 91-110 decibels. Common sounds that could fall in this range include power tools, shouting, helicopters, and motorcycles. Very loud sounds can cause damage quicker than loud sounds.
EXTREMELY LOUD: Sounds above 110 decibels are the loudest. These can include gunshots, fireworks, jack hammers, and airplane engines. Ear protection should be used as hearing damage can happen quickly at this level.
What is a Quiet Hair Dryer?
A quiet hair dryer will produce the least amount of noise while effectively drying hair in minimal time.
Quiet hair dryers are popular because not only can they reduce hearing damage, but they can also help reduce noise level in the home.
Quiet hair dryers are great if you have young babies or kids that sleep during your shower time! Also great for spouses who work different shifts, with a quiet hair dryer, one can sleep while the other gets ready for the day!
Benefits of a Quiet Hair Dryer
- Less harmful to hearing
- Less disruption to other household members
- DC and Electric motor dryers could reduce frizz
How to Pick a Quiet Hair Dryer
When shopping around for a quiet hair dryer, there are a few key considerations to keep in mind.
- Decibel Level: Determine the decibel level. This can be found on the product label, packaging, or by calling the company support line. Keep in mind, that the lower the decibel number, the quieter the hair dryer will be. The average hair dryer is between 70-90 decibels.
- Motor Type: As reviewed above, the motor plays an important role in the overall sound level. AC motors are the loudest (usually), DC motors are less loud, and electric/digital motors are generally the quietest options on the market.
- Materials: Quality material will often mean lower sound. Cheaply made materials have the opposite impact and could cause the hair dryer to be louder.
7 Quiet Hair Dryer Options!
We just covered a lot of information! If you don’t want to do the shopping around for a quiet hair dryer, no worries! I went ahead and did that for you.
In no particular order, here are 7 quiet hair dryer options. These are hair dryers I would personally consider purchasing based upon user reviews, ratings, and product manual research.
In this list are dryers of all price points. Some are more quiet than others, however many users believe these to be more quiet than the average hair dryer.
While each person has a unique hair type, it is important to note that the dryers below may or may not meet your expectations. Therefore, I am linking all products via Amazon. This will make product returns a breeze, should you have any troubles if purchasing an item below! Does anyone else LOVE returning Amazon items via Kohl’s?! That’s a conversation for another day! 🙂
SHOP THIS POST
THIS POST WAS ALL ABOUT A QUIET HAIR DRYER
Be sure to check out my shop page, HERE, to shop all my looks, outfit inspo, gift guides and more.
STAY IN THE KNOW: Don’t forget to sign up for my exclusive newsletter for STYLE TIPS, NEW POST ALERTS, AND MUCH MORE!
As always, thank you so much for stopping by today, I truly appreciate you!