Soon after I became pregnant in 2019, I wanted to find a diaper bag that would be functional, durable, stylish, and approved by dad! We purchased one of the most highly recommended diaper bags that also had outstanding reviews. Now that we are in the toddler stage, and we no longer needed a giant bag. Toddlers require far less “stuff” as compared to newborns and infants. I was so happy to find our favorite diaper bag comes in a “mini” size… perfect for tots!
Affiliate links may be used in this post. To learn more, please review our full disclosure statement below (on mobile) or to the right (on desktop). Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Picking the Best Toddler Diaper Bag
Consider these characteristics in a toddler diaper bag: storage, ease of use, quality, and style. Below are some of the things I personally LOVE about our Itzy Ritzy Mini Diaper Backpack.
- Storage: Toddlers do not need a ton of space, but their diaper bag should be big enough to hold essentials plus a few additional items if necessary. Our Itzy Ritzy mini bag that has lots of compartments, perfect for easy access to everything when on the go. when on the go. For our newborn bag, we utilized packing cubes to help with diaper bag organization. This was way more efficient as compared to throwing everything into one large open space. I currently use two small packing cubes in the mini backpack: one for extra clothes and one for a small first aid kit.
- Ease of use: There is no doubt that the backpack style bag was the perfect choice for us. Having both hands free when you’re on the go is invaluable. What I love most about our toddler diaper bag is that is easy to clean. The bottom of the bag has a thick rubber pad, so I never worry about when we set the bag. We can slide it across and surface and not have to worry about damage to the bottom. Another great feature is that it comes with a changing pad and has a separate zipper pocket for storing it.
- Quality: I am so grateful we spent a little bit extra for a high-quality diaper bag for the newborn stage. The same holds true for a toddler, who might actually put you (and the bag) through some more challenging (and by that, I mean messy) situations. I have a friend who had to buy multiple diaper bags due to zippers breaking, seams ripping, and other quality issue that simply could not withstand the test of baby/toddler years. I’d rather spend a large amount one-time, up front, and not have to worry about finding a replacement bag. Though it might seem like a lot of money, you could SAVE money by purchasing a quality bag initially. trust me.
- Style: The bag MUST be mom approved and fit into her wardrobe. If dad likes it, that’s a bonus. My wardrobe is full of neutrals and that is what we went with in both the newborn and toddler diaper bag.
Itzy Ritzy Mini Diaper Bags
Itzy Ritzy Boss + Boss Plus (large) Bags
Toddler Diaper Bag Sizing
Mini Bag (Black) // Large Bag (coffee & cream)
For reference, the sizing for each of my bags is below. The toddler (mini) bag is more narrow and shorter, as compared to the large backpack. The mini bag is great if you only have one child. If you have multiple kids, I recommend using the boss bag if more space is what you need.
- 12.5″L x 10″W x 18″H
- Measures 11.5″ L x 7.5″ W x 13.75″ H
- Weighs 2.1lbs
Toddler Diaper Bag FAQ
- How do you keep it organized? We have these packing cubes for an extra set of clothes. I use a clear cube as a mini first aid/medicine kit. The clear makes it easy to see everything easily.
- What color diaper bag do you recommend? We used coffee and cream for newborn/infant years then bought black in the mini bag for toddler. They also have more masculine options like camo!
- How do you care for the bag? The brand site says “spot clean with damp cloth”… having a pandemic baby, we have used antibacterial wipes countless times on the bag, especially on the rubber bottom!
- Is the “mini” bag really small? Do not let the word mini fool you. The bag holds a lot! We can fit a full toddler outfit, first aid bag, 5 diapers, diaper cream, wipes, shoes, a snack cup, and a few small toys in the bag. There are also two side pockets for water cups and a front zipper pouch!
My Review: My Toddler Diaper Bag
Now that our son is going on three, we have put our diapers bags to good use. We currently use the mini backpack every day. It goes everywhere with us. We continue to use the large backpack for when we take trips or need more storage. Both bags have held up really well and have hardly aged at all. The large bag has thicker, padded straps that are great for heavier loads. The mini bag does not have padded straps; however, they are sturdy and show no signs of wear. The seaming is beautiful, and the bag construction is top of the line. Love all of the compartments inside for diapers, wipes, etc. Even when all of the essentials are in, we have plenty of room for more stuff!
When it comes to the zippers, they all work perfectly smooth and are easy to open. The front zipper opens up completely to the bottom of the bag, to lay flat, which makes getting things out super easy!
The front zipper pocket is where I’ll throw my personal mommy things (ChapStick, phone, keys) when I don’t want to take my purse out.
READ NEXT: Mom Clothes, The Ultimate Guide to Style
Would I buy this toddler diaper bag again? Yes! As someone who doesn’t like to spend a lot of money on one item, this bag is seriously worth it! Quality & functionality will always win in my mama book. Let me know in the comments below if you still have more questions.
What’s In My Toddler Diaper Bag?
Diaper Change Essentials
I keep 4-5 diapers, a pack of wipes, diaper cream, and the best diaper cream spatula in our bag at all times. Don’t ask about the spatula, you just need to try it for yourself. LOVE IT!
Luckily, both our large and mini bags from Itzy Rity came with a coordinating changing pad. It has its own separate storage pocket in the bag so it is easy to grab for a quick change!
First Aid Kit
Every toddler diaper bag should have a small first aid kit! We use a clear toiletry bag as a first aid kit… makes it easy see if what we need is actually in the kit or not.
We use Itzy Ritzy packing cubes for an extra shirt, pants, socks, and long sleeves.
Our son is on such a schedule with his meals, we do not leave home without a snack! These are our favorite snack cups. He hasn’t quite figured out how to open them yet!
We are a water family all day long and have tried out several water bottles for kids! We use this stainless steel water bottle at home. It keeps water cold literally all day. I even have the adult version and cannot recommend it enough if you drink a lot of water and like to keep it cold!
Another toddler water bottle we love for travel and play dates is this plastic bottle with a straw. We bought it for an upcoming trip to Disney and now we use it all the time. I love that the straw is tucked away from germs and you don’t have to touch the mouth piece to drink from it. Plus, it has a strap! LOVE!
My favorite sunscreen for our son is Supergoop. It comes in a stick version, which is great for travel. It is pricey, but the ingredients are clean and easy on his skin! To save money for on everyday sunscreen, we buy a large bottle of super goop, it costs way less per fluid ounce as compared to the smaller (and stick) sizes. My favorite mom hack is to fill travel toiletry bottles with sunscreen & toss it in the diaper bag!
DIAPER BAG ACCESSORIES