Do you find packing to be frustrating and a nearly impossible task? Do you overpack, and return from a trip having not worn several things in your suitcase? You will love this universal vacation packing list!
If you are familiar with wardrobe staples and capsule wardrobes, then you will find it easy to pull items from your closet when packing for your next trip.
Affiliate links are used in this post. To learn more, please review our full disclosure statement below (on mobile) or to the right (on desktop). Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!
Universal Packing List
The key to an effective packing list is packing items, not outfits. I used to pack ALL WRONG. The main reason was that I packed entire outfits and none of the pieces within one outfit could be worn with any pieces from another outfit. This is the main culprit of overpacking.
To help, I have compiled a list that you can use as a guide when packing for your next trip.
– Colors. You want to make sure the primary colors you pack are neutral colors. This will ensure you can create the maximum number of outfits with the least number of pieces.
– Add minimal color. If you want to add color. Keep it to 1-2 colors.
– Plan ahead. Know the weather of your destination when you will be there. Also know the activities you will be doing while traveling. These will greatly impact the specific clothing items you need to pack (spring/summer vs. fall/winter items)
– Pack primarily wardrobe staples, like these. This will save you money and take the stress out of packing because staples already coordinate together beautifully.
– Know the total days to pack for. This should be the total days you will be in your destination(s) and also the travel day(s) to return home.
What to Pack
The below pieces are all staple wardrobe items. Shop your closet for these items before purchasing anything new, you likely already own similar pieces!
Select the number of days from the guide above to determine how much of each item you need to pack. Then, you can utilize the pieces below for packing, weather & activity permitting of course! Since these are all wardrobe staples, they can be interchanged to create several beautiful outfits. Check out this post to learn more about these staples and how to make outfits from them!
White Tee // Gray Tee // Black Tee // Stripe L/S // Ivory Sweater // Beige Cardigan // Jean Jacket // Leather Jacket // Utility Jacket // Black Dress // Black Jean // Blue Jeans // Black Pant // White Jean // Leopard Flat // White Sneaker // Black Flat